CLERGY SEXUAL ABUSE CASES
Merit has been helping survivors of childhood sexual abuse for over two decades. He understands the nature and extent of this unspeakable trauma and has held many powerful religious institutions and sects accountable.
Merit has filed lawsuits for clergy sex abuse as recently as 2018 and represented over 100 victims of clergy sex abuse since 1994 in Federal Courts in Denver and Albuquerque and in State District Court in Santa Fe.
On February 15, 2019, Merit testified in Santa Fe District Court regarding the danger that former priest, Marvin Archuleta, criminally charged with the rape of a 6-year old boy committed in the 1980’s, posed to the community.
Merit has brought claims on behalf of his clients, including through lawsuits filed in state and federal courts, against the following religious entities:
- Archdiocese of Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Servants of the Paraclete, New Mexico
- Archdiocese of Denver, Colorado
- Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts
- Diocese of Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Diocese of El Paso, Texas
- Diocese of San Angelo, Texas
- Diocese of Amarillo, Texas
- Archdiocese of New Orleans, Louisiana
- Diocese of Gallup, New Mexico
- Diocese of Winnipeg, Canada
- Diocese of Hartford, Connecticut
- Diocese of Norwich, Connecticut
- Pecos Benedictine Monastery (New Mexico)
- Christian Brothers (Santa Fe, New Mexico)
- Sons of the Holy Family (Silver Springs, Maryland).