AUTO & TRUCK INJURY CASES
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle collision or as a pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle, our firm will assist you in the recovery of your resulting damages, which may include pain and suffering, permanent physical impairment, loss of wages and earning capacity, past and future medical expenses and loss of enjoyment of life. When the liable party is not insured or has limited insurance and you must access your personal uninsured motorist coverage benefits, unfortunately your own insurance company will be more interested in maximizing its profit margin and will become your adversary. We can ensure that your insurance company will be held to its fiduciary duty to deal with you in good faith.
- Insurance Bad Faith Claims – If your own insurance company is dealing with you in bad faith, we can help you hold your insurance accountable to state laws which prohibit such misconduct and permit you to recover punitive damages and attorney’s fees.
- Uninsured Motorist Claims – If you are injured by a motorist who has little or no auto insurance coverage, you may need to invoke your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage provided to you by your own insurance company. When this occurs, your insurance company unfortunately becomes your adversary, as the profit motive is stronger than the helper motive, and we can help your insurance company abide by its contractual obligation to you and value you and your claim fairly.
PERSONAL INJURY/WRONGFUL DEATH CASES
If you are physically or emotionally injured or if a family member or friend loses their life under any circumstance which is caused by the negligence, recklessness or willful intent of another person, business, state agency or private or public company, to include, but not limited to, by auto, truck or motorcycle accident, slip and fall, sexual abuse, assault, battery or other misconduct, then you should call us without delay.
It is unlawful for an employer to mistreat, discriminate against or terminate you for any of the below reasons. It is further unlawful for an employer to mistreat, discriminate against or terminate you because you voice opposition to such mistreatment or discrimination directed toward you or another employee or if you oppose your employer’s participation in illegal activity.
Categories of Discrimination
- Disability/ Serious Medical Condition
- Equal Pay/Compensation
- National Origin/Genetic Information
- Gender (including sexual harassment and sexual orientation)
We can help you file a charge of discrimination with the appropriate federal and state agencies and seek compensatory and punitive damages against your employer.
If you are sexually harassed or physically touched in a sexually offensive manner in or outside of your workplace, then you may have a claim against the perpetrator and/or his or her employer for sexual harassment or assault. We can help you recover damages for your emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of income, if any, and associated mental health expenses. Punitive damages are often assessed in these cases.
CLERGY SEXUAL ABUSE CASES
Merit has been helping survivors of childhood sexual abuse for over two decades. He understands the nature and extent of this unspeakable trauma and has held many powerful religious institutions and sects accountable.
Merit has filed lawsuits for clergy sex abuse as recently as 2018 and represented over 150 victims of clergy sex abuse since 1994 in Federal Courts in Denver and Albuquerque and in State District Court in Santa Fe.
Merit has brought claims on behalf of his clients, including through lawsuits filed in state and federal courts, against the following religious entities:
- Archdiocese of Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Servants of the Paraclete, New Mexico
- Archdiocese of Denver, Colorado
- Diocese of Worcester, Massachusetts
- Diocese of Las Cruces, New Mexico
- Diocese of El Paso, Texas
- Diocese of San Angelo, Texas
- Diocese of Amarillo, Texas
- Archdiocese of New Orleans, Louisiana
- Diocese of Gallup, New Mexico
- Diocese of Winnipeg, Canada
- Diocese of Hartford, Connecticut
- Diocese of Norwich, Connecticut
- Pecos Benedictine Monastery (New Mexico)
- Christian Brothers (Santa Fe, New Mexico)
- Sons of the Holy Family (Silver Springs, Maryland).